Early Detection Lowers Risk of Vision Loss in Diabetic RetinopathyGlobal prevalence of diabetes is about 8.5%, of which 40% with diabetic retinopathy. Research showed that up to 25% of patients newly diagnosed with diabetes may have retinopathy, at the time of diagnosis1. Symptoms may not be noticeable in early stage and often being neglected. It may have progressed to advanced stage when symptoms become obvious. It may lead to irreversible eye sight damages or even cause blindness.
Diabetic Retinopathy (DR) is the second leading cause of blindness in Hong Kong. Early detection with proper treatment and follow-up helps to preserve good eyesight. Therefore, OPTICAL 88 introduced “5-minute Diabetic Retinopathy Screening Assessment” with ZEISS advanced technology VISUHEALTH. Using ZEISS VISUSCOUT fundus camera, we are able to capture retina images easily and upload to VISUHEALTH platform for Artificial Intelligence (AI) analysis. It takes only 5 minutes to complete the screening and get the result. Retina images may also be downloaded by reading QR codes with smartphones.
Diabetics and people with family history of diabetes or diabetic retinopathy are at high risk of diabetic retinopathy. Besides, obesity, smoking habit, high blood pressure and lack of experiences are also risk factors of diabetic retinopathy. Detect early and protect vision via regular DR screening! Visit below outlets for the service.
Outlets Addresses with ZEISS VISUHEALTH Diabetic Retinopathy Screening:
Hong Kong Island：
- Shop 124A, 1/F., Cityplaza, 18 Taikoo Shing Road, Taikoo Shing
- Shop No.G3, G/F., Windsor House, Causeway Bay
- Unit G95,Telford Plaza I, Kowloon Bay
- Shop No. 291, Level 2, Plaza Hollywood, Diamond Hill
- Shop unit 322A, Maritime Square, Tsing Yi
- Shop No.2072-73 & 2075-76, 2/F.,TuenMunTownPlaza, Phase I, Tuen Mun
- Shop No.474-476, Level 4, Metroplaza, Kwai Fong
- Shop 142, Level 1, Park Central, Tseung Kwan O
- Shop No.605, Level 6, Phase I, New Town Plaza, Shatin
- Shop No.2114 & 2115, Level 2, MOSTown, Ma On Shan
1. Jimenez-Baez, Maria Valeria et al. “Early diagnosis of diabetic retinopathy in primary care.” Colombia medica (Cali, Colombia) vol.46, 1 14-8. 30 Mar.2019
Common symptoms of diabetic retinopathy and risk factors
1. Diabetic Retinopathy causes eye and vision problems
There is no obvious symptom at early stage, some patients may see floaters or shadows and need change in glasses prescription. It may cause distorted eyesight at advanced stage or even cause blindness.
2. Risk Factors
Diabetics and people with family history of diabetes or diabetic retinopathy are at high risk of diabetic retinopathy. Besides, obesity, smoking habit, high blood pressure and lack of exercises are also risk factors of diabetic retinopathy.