Early Detection Lowers Risk of Vision Loss in Diabetic RetinopathyGlobal prevalence of diabetes is about 8.5%, of which 40% with diabetic retinopathy. Research showed that up to 25% of patients newly diagnosed with diabetes may have retinopathy, at the time of diagnosis1. Symptoms may not be noticeable in early stage and often being neglected. It may have progressed to advanced stage when symptoms become obvious. It may lead to irreversible eye sight damages or even cause blindness.
Diabetic Retinopathy (DR) is the second leading cause of blindness in Hong Kong. Early detection with proper treatment and follow-up helps to preserve good eyesight. Therefore, OPTICAL 88 introduced “5-minute Diabetic Retinopathy Screening Assessment” with ZEISS advanced technology VISUHEALTH. Using ZEISS VISUSCOUT fundus camera, we are able to capture retina images easily and upload to VISUHEALTH platform for Artificial Intelligence (AI) analysis. It takes only 5 minutes to complete the screening and get the result. Retina images may also be downloaded by reading QR codes with smartphones.
Diabetics and people with family history of diabetes or diabetic retinopathy are at high risk of diabetic retinopathy. Besides, obesity, smoking habit, high blood pressure and lack of experiences are also risk factors of diabetic retinopathy. Detect early and protect vision via regular DR screening! Visit below outlets for the service.
Outlets Addresses with ZEISS VISUHEALTH Diabetic Retinopathy Screening:
Hong Kong Island：
- Shop 124A, 1/F., Cityplaza, 18 Taikoo Shing Road, Taikoo Shing Tel.:2569 5902
- Shop No.101-102, 1/F., Windsor House, Causeway Bay Tel.:2890 7219
- Unit G95,Telford Plaza I, Kowloon Bay Tel.:2798 9146
- Shop No. 291, Level 2, Plaza Hollywood, Diamond Hill Tel.:2955 7720
- Shop unit 322A, Maritime Square, Tsing Yi Tel.:2436 0537
- Shop No.2072-73 & 2075-76, 2/F.,TuenMunTownPlaza, Phase I, Tuen Mun Tel.:2886 9496
- Shop No.474-476, Level 4, Metroplaza, Kwai Fong Tel.:2487 7232
- Shop 142, Level 1, Park Central, Tseung Kwan O Tel.:2710 8996
- Shop No.605, Level 6, Phase I, New Town Plaza, Shatin Tel.:2691 6124
- Shop No.2114 & 2115, Level 2, MOSTown, Ma On Shan Tel.:2633 5355
1. Jimenez-Baez, Maria Valeria et al. “Early diagnosis of diabetic retinopathy in primary care.” Colombia medica (Cali, Colombia) vol.46, 1 14-8. 30 Mar.2019
Common symptoms of diabetic retinopathy and risk factors
1. Diabetic Retinopathy causes eye and vision problems
There is no obvious symptom at early stage, some patients may see floaters or shadows and need change in glasses prescription. It may cause distorted eyesight at advanced stage or even cause blindness.
2. Risk Factors
Diabetics and people with family history of diabetes or diabetic retinopathy are at high risk of diabetic retinopathy. Besides, obesity, smoking habit, high blood pressure and lack of exercises are also risk factors of diabetic retinopathy.